We're pleased to share the results of our 2017 annual survey. This is the second year we’ve run the survey in this way, which means we can clearly track the progress made on key areas of our support. We'd like to say a big thank you to everyone we support, and their friends and family, who took the time to tell us what they think.
How does the survey work?
We developed this survey with the help of people we support and their family and friends.
We sent people we support two surveys - one they could answer themselves, or an 'observational' survey that helps us to makes sure we include the views of people who don't use verbal communication. We've had good feedback from people we support and staff about the observational survey - as far as we know, we're the first organisation to use this type of survey!
How many people responded to the survey?
- We had 434 responses from people we support, a response rate of 32%.
- We had 231 responses from family and friends, a response rate of 27%.
What did we find out?
Check out the headings below to see what people told us:
What friends and family told us
- 94% of friends and family are always or mostly happy with the support their friend or relative gets from Brandon
- 97% said staff always or mostly treat their friend or relative with respect
- 93% said staff always or mostly support their friend or relative to stay healthy
- 97% said staff always or mostly support their friend or relative to be happy
- 98% said staff always or mostly support their friend or relative to feel safe
- 93% of people said their friend or relative is supported to access the community
- 91% said their friend or relative is always or mostly supported to see friends and family
- 94% said they are always or mostly happy with the environment where their friend or relative gets support
- 88% said staff always or mostly communicate effectively with them
- 82% said they are likely or extremely likely to recommend Brandon to family and friends
What people we support told us
- 92% of people told us they are very or quite happy with the support they get from Brandon
- 93% of people told us they feel good or very good when staff support them
- 91% of people told us they are very or quite happy with the amount of control they have over daily life
- 84% of people told us they see friends and family as much as they would like
Observational surveys are for people who are not able to complete their own survey, with or without support. We asked someone who knows the person well to complete it. Sometimes this was a relative, mostly it was staff.
There are fewer questions in the observational survey, but the people who filled them in on behalf of the person we support, were asked to explain, or evidence, their answer.
From the results of the observational surveys, we think:
- 96% of people are very or quite happy with the support they receive
- 92% of people show they are happy most days or every day
- 90% are very or quite happy with how often they do things they value and enjoy
How have we progressed since last year?
Last year we identified some key areas we wanted to work on - supporting people to stay healthy, improving outcomes for those with higher support needs, and thinking about how we involve families in planning their relative's support.
We’re very happy to see improved outcomes on both health, and support for people with more complex needs.
We know that we need to get better at communicating and building relationships with families. At around the same time as the surveys were sent out, we launched our family charter, which sets out how we’ll work with families to deliver great support to their relative. We hope that’s going to make a big difference in the coming year.
We’ve still got work to do when it comes to those with complex needs - especially supporting them to make and maintain social connections as well as making sure they still get to exercise choice about who supports them.
What are we doing about the things that could be improved?
Our new Involvement Coordinator will be looking at the survey findings together with feedback from people we support, families and support teams.
She's going to be working with staff and people we support to create an action plan setting out how Brandon will work towards making these key areas better.
If you've got any questions about the survey, you can contact our Involvement team at email@example.com